Why Is Outlook Receiving Duplicate Emails?
Nowadays several Microsoft Outlook users are in trouble due to duplicates, but they don’t know why is Outlook receiving duplicate emails in Inbox, Spam, and Junk folders. If you are facing the same problem and looking for methods to stop receiving duplicate emails in Outlook 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, and old versions. Then don’t worry and keep continue reading this informative write-up and learn everything about why is Outlook downloading duplicate emails and how to stop receiving them.
Why Is Outlook Downloading Duplicate Emails?
Microsoft Outlook may download duplicate emails due to several reasons, and it can be a frustrating experience for users. Even due to duplicate clutter, your Outlook becomes slow to receive emails. Some of the common causes of receiving duplicate emails in Outlook are:
- Email Rules or Filters: Misconfigured email rules or filters can cause emails to be received in multiple folders (Inbox, Spam, Junk) in Outlook. Wrong implementation of rules is one of the major reasons for duplicate emails in Outlook so always use rules carefully.
- Email Account Configuration: Incorrect settings in the email account configuration can lead to duplicate email downloads. For example, if the same email account is set up multiple times with different protocols (POP3 and IMAP), then your Outlook may receive duplicate emails.
- Synchronization Issues: Problems during the synchronization process between the email server and Outlook can download duplicates. This can happen if there are connectivity issues or interruptions while synchronizing emails.
- Corrupted Outlook Data Files: Corruption in Outlook data files (such as PST or OST files) can cause email duplication during the process of receiving or updating emails.
- Email Server Issues: Occasionally, server-side issues on the email provider’s end can become cause receive duplicate emails in Outlook.
- Outlook Add-ins or Plugins: Certain third-party add-ins or plugins installed in Outlook might interfere with email synchronization. Even inadvertently becomes the reason for downloading duplicate emails in Outlook desktop.
- Recovery or Backup Tool: If you have Outlook backup or recovery software running on your computer, it might restore deleted emails. Hence, you may get duplicate emails in Outlook.
- Human Mistakes: Accidental multiple clicks on the “Send/ Receive” button or other actions by the user can start downloading duplicate emails in Outlook. Even sometimes users may forget to enable the “Do not import duplicates” option while importing emails from PST.
Manual Ways to Stop Receiving Duplicate Emails in Outlook
There are several manual techniques available to stop downloading duplicate emails in Outlook. Here we are explaining a few most effective and most commonly used tips and tricks to get rid of duplicate emails in Outlook 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, and previous editions.
#1 Verify Email Account Settings:
Check the email account settings in Outlook to ensure there are no duplicates account configured in your Outlook. If you see a duplicate account configured using different protocols, then immediately remove it.
#2 Review Email Rules and Filters:
Review and adjust email rules and filters in Outlook to avoid downloading duplicate emails in Outlook in different folders.
#3 Repair Outlook Data Files:
If corruption is suspected, use Outlook’s built-in repair tool (Scanpst.exe for PST files) to repair Outlook PST files.
#4 Fix Server Duplicates:
If server-side issues are identified, contact your email provider to resolve the problem to stop receiving duplicate emails in Outlook.
#5 Do Not Import Duplicates:
If you are importing emails from PST files to your Outlook client. Then must enable the “Do not import duplicates” option as shown in the figure below.
#6 Clean Up Folder:
If you see duplicate emails in your Outlook folders then you can also use the Clean Up folder option. This facility is recommended to remove duplicate emails from PST files, exported from all Outlook editions.
#7 Check POP3 Account Settings:
If you have configured an email account in Outlook using POP3 protocols. Then please check the pop3 settings of your configured account. Here ensures one thing “Leave a copy of messages on the server” option should be disabled (unchecked). This option is available in Account Settings >> Email Account >> More Settings >> Advanced.
Automated Tool to Get Rid of Duplicate Emails in Outlook
Best Outlook Duplicate Remover Tool is available to remove Outlook duplicate contacts, calendars, emails, tasks, notes, journals, attachments, and all. So this is a well-suitable utility for resolving “Why is Outlook receiving duplicate emails” related queries.
You can use this software to stop receiving duplicate emails in Outlook desktop clients. The tool is available free trial version so that you can check its working process and analyze features before upgrading to the licensed edition.
How to Stop Duplicate Emails in Outlook?
- Start the software and add Outlook profile data in the software panel.
- After that, select the required Outlook items that have clutter and press Next.
- Enable a mode to fix replica clutter within and across the folders accordingly.
- Use advance filter options for removing duplicate emails, and choosing specific criteria.
- Choose the Browse icon to set a required destination path as per your choice.
- Hit the Extract button to start fixing duplicate email clutter.
- If see the task is completed successfully, press Ok to confirm the completion.
- Get resultant PST files and import them in Outlook by enabling the “Do not import duplicates” option.
Above you have learned about various manual and automated solutions to get rid of duplicate emails in Outlook. We have also explained the top possible reasons why is Outlook receiving duplicate emails in folders. You can also read some tips and tricks to stop receiving duplicate emails in Outlook email clients.
Frequently Asked Questions
Que 1: Why do I get duplicate emails in Outlook?
Ans: There might be several reasons for duplicate emails in Outlook:
- The same email account may configure twice.
- Enable leave a copy of messages on the server option.
- A problem in antivirus programs.
- Implemented rules and filters in the wrong way.
- Synchronization issues in MS Outlook.
- Email server issues, and others as explained above.
Que 2: Is your software capable stop receiving duplicate emails in Outlook 2021?
Ans: Yes, this is an excellent and expert-suggested tool to stop downloading duplicate emails in Outlook 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002, 2000, 98, and 97.
Que 3: Do antivirus programs become a reason for duplicate emails in Outlook?
Ans: Yes, sometimes you may receive duplicate emails in Outlook due to antivirus programs. In that case, you will need to disable the antivirus program for scanning.