How to Export Gmail Folders or Labels?
If you are facing issues similar to this user’s query, then read this blog. Here, we will discuss the problem and its solution thoroughly.
Gmail is a versatile email service, which keeps on adding and modifying its features to make itself even more robust and user-friendly. However, as not every email is important, users often want to protect only some selected Google emails on the computer.
Is it Possible to Download Gmail Folder?
Frankly, no. There are many manual methods available on the internet, but in reality, they do not give you 100% accuracy. You can use the Google Takeout service provided by Google. It is absolutely free of cost, and the only method available for users who want to export Gmail folders.
With Google Takeout, you cannot preserve the internal folder hierarchy and attachments. But don’t worry, I will give you a manual method. If this process is not practical for you, then you can use a reliable solution which I will further explain in this article.
Many users remain confused about folders and labels. They cannot understand the difference between the two. So, let me explain it in simple words.
Are Gmail labels the same as folders?
In Gmail, you use labels to categorize your emails. Labels are like folders, but with a twist. You can apply multiple labels to an email, and then find the email later by clicking any of its labels from the left panel. You can also search by a label.
A Direct Solution to Export Gmail Folders
There are many solutions available, but very few of them actually enable you to download Gmail folders as per your requirements. The BitRecover Gmail Backup Tool gives you the option to export Gmail labels and folders. Sometimes, you need to download only selected email folders from Gmail, and you are in a hurry to transfer emails from Gmail to another account with labels. This tool is fantastic for downloading Gmail emails for Offline view for backup purposes. Just take a look at the software features.
Noteworthy Features of the Tool
- This tool allows you to export specific Gmail emails to a flash drive or external drive along with the entire email properties.
- It provides you with the easiest way to download Gmail folders to cloud-based email services.
- It preserves the folder name and internal folder structure during the downloading process.
- This software provides the option to export Gmail folders from multiple @gmail accounts at once.
- It will ask for your Gmail account credentials to be able to connect to your account.
- It is built with high-tech algorithms and has a user-friendly interface. So, both technical and non-technical users can easily work with this tool.
Preparation Before Using the Tool
#1: Enable the IMAP Setting
#2: On two Steps Verification
- Click on the Gmail profile >> Manage Your Gmail Account.
- Then hit on the Security option as seen on the left panel.
- Click on the 2-Step Verification option under the Signing into Google box.
- After this, the option of App Password will appear.
#3: Create Google App Password
Steps to Export Gmail labels
- Download the software and log in using your Gmail account details.
(Use the app password because your regular password will not work.)
- The software will display all Gmail folders. Select the required email folders from the software window.
- Select the desired saving option from the 20+ standard saving options.
- Choose the destination path where you wish to export the Gmail folder.
- The Live conversion process is displayed on the screen with counting numbers.
Manually Migrate Gmail Folder
- First of all, go to https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout and sign in using your Google account.
- Click the Deselect all option.
- Scroll down and choose the Mail option.
- Click the All Mail Data Included option in the Mail box.
- Uncheck the Include all messages in Mail option and select your particular label or folder.
- Lastly, hit the OK button.
- After clicking the Next Step option, select the download link via email from the delivery method.
- Scroll down and choose .zip as the File Type option.
- Choose the desired file size from the given options (1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 10GB, and 50GB). If your data is huge, then this size will split into multiple files.
- Click the Create Export button to start the process of downloading Gmail emails.
- After that, it will ask for your Gmail password.
- It will show you the completion message, but will take time depending on the size of your folder.
- Lastly, download the exported file.
The following are the limitations of the manual method:
- Depending on its size, the Gmail folder might take some time to download.
- This process may not work if your Gmail folder is very large.
- After downloading the result file in the MBOX format, you need a supported application to open MBOX.
So There You Have It
This blog explains the procedure on how to download Gmail folder efficiently. Also, we have discussed ways to export Gmail labels using manual solutions along with automated software. Our recommendation for users is to opt for an automated solution that offers safe and accurate results.