How to Break VBA Password in Excel 2021, 2019, 2016?
Looking for a technique that helps you to break VBA password in Excel XLSM files? If your response is yes, then don’t take stress and continue to read as in this blog. This article discusses the best tried and tested methods to unlock VBA password Excel XLSM. Here, BitRecover experts describe the step-by-step process to break VBA code password in Excel using workbook and other techniques. But first, let’s revise some basics about VBA.
As we all know, VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) is a substantive part of Microsoft Office Suite programs, i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, etc. Therefore, VBA is Microsoft’s programming language for Office applications and plays an important role in developing automation processes, user-defined functions, Windows API (Application Programming Interfaces), etc. VBA is also helpful in manipulating the features of host applications.
5 Steps to Break Excel VBA Password
- Step 1: Launch Excel VBA Password Remover Tool.
- Step 2: Add Excel XLSM macro-enabled VBA files.
- Step 3: Select required Excel VBA files and Next.
- Step 4: Browse and set specific destination folder.
- Step 5: Click Remove to break VBA password in Excel.
Recommended: Quick Guide to Remove Macro from Excel Spreadsheet
Know Excel VBA File Extension
The Excel file extension that supports VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) macros and modules is XLSM. When you save an Excel workbook with macros or VBA code, it should be saved with the .xlsm extension. The “m” in .xlsm stands for “macros“. This file format allows you to store VBA code, macros, and modules within the workbook, enabling you to automate tasks, create custom functions, and perform other programmatic actions using VBA codes and scripts.
Other Excel file extensions, such as .xlsx (for regular Excel workbooks) and .xls (for older Excel versions), do not support macros or VBA code storage. So, if you want to work with VBA macros and modules in MS Excel, then it’s essential to use the .xlsm file format.
Recommended: Tips to Remove PowerPoint VBA Password
Top Reasons to Remove VBA Password from Excel XLSM
There are several reasons why someone might want to remove VBA password in Excel XLSM macro-enabled files:
- Forgotten Password: If you’ve forgotten the Excel VBA password, you won’t be able to access or modify the macros and code within the file. Breaking Excel VBA password allows you to regain access to crucial data.
- Legacy Files: You might have inherited Microsoft Excel files with VBA code, and the original password is unknown. The process to unlock VBA password in Excel makes it easier to work with these legacy files.
- Collaboration: When collaborating with others on VBA projects, sharing password-protected files can be cumbersome. Removing Excel VBA password process is best to simplify the collaboration.
- Security Audits: Some organizations may require Excel VBA code to be reviewed as part of security audits. Removing the password makes it easier for inspection.
- Automation and Debugging: If you’re developing or debugging Excel VBA code scripts, having an unprotected file makes the process smoother. Hence, you can more easily make changes and test the VBA codes and scripts.
- Protecting Intellectual Property: While this can be seen as a downside, some individuals or organizations may want to remove Excel VBA passwords from XLSM files they own to protect their intellectual property. However, this should be done ethically and within legal boundaries.
- Sample XLSM Files: Sometimes, developers download some samples of password-protected Excel VBA projects. However, they are unable to use the defined Excel VBA macros and modules scripts because of passwords.
- Creating Replica Projects: If you want to create a duplicate VBA project in Excel but when they try to copy macros and modules coding, the sample project asks for a password.
Read Similar: Expert Choice to Remove Access VBA Password
#1 Method: Unlock VBA Password Excel XLSM via Changing File Extension
- Firstly, change the VBA project file extension from *.xlsm to *.zip.
- Double-click on the ZIP file to open it with WinZip/ WinRar programs.
- Click on the .xl folder to continue.
- Extract the vbaProject.bin file and open it using Hex Editor.
- After that, search DPB in Hex Editor, replace it with DPx, and save it.
- Replace the old vbaProject.bin file with the new vbaProject.bin file under ZIP.
- Thereafter, change the file extension from *zip to *.xlsm.
- Start Visual Basic in Microsoft Excel, select Tools, and VBAProject Properties.
- Choose the Protection tab, enter a new password, and save the *.xlsm file.
- Finally, users can open the Excel VBA project file using the new password.
#2 Method – Remove Excel VBA Project Password with Hex Editor
- Generate a new Microsoft Excel XLS/ XLSX file using any Hex Editor program.
- Then, you need to set a specific password in the VBA field (Alt + F11).
- Save the recently created file at any destination path and exit.
- Now open a file that you have recently generated using Hex Editor.
- Copy each file starting with CMG=…, DPB=…, and GC=….
- Open a file whose VBA password you want to break in Excel with the help of Hex Editor and paste the above-mentioned copied lines from the dummy file.
- After that, save Excel files and exit to break a VBA password in Excel.
- Open the Excel file in which you want to access the VBA code, and then enter the common password you used in the previous step for the dummy VBA file.
#3 Method – Break VBA Code Password in Excel Using Workbook
- Open a password-protected Excel Workbook VBA file.
- Press Alt + F11 to open a visual basic editor.
- Click the Inset Module option and paste the given code into the VBA module.
- Press the F5 button and run the code to break the VBA password in Excel.
- You can now open VBA projects in Excel without asking for a password.
Manual Method Drawbacks
- Lack of Batch Mode: Manual techniques allow us to break passwords one by one from each project, so you will need to repeat the same steps again and again if you want to remove Excel VBA passwords in bulk.
- Time Consuming: The manual method is a time-consuming process to break Excel VBA module password. These techniques allow you to remove VBA password in Excel XLSM files one by one. Moreover, it takes a lot of time if someone wants to batch unlock Excel VBA password.
- Requires Technical Knowledge: If you are a non-technical person, then you can face challenges while breaking VBA project passwords in Excel XLSM manually. As you have seen already, need to follow too many steps including some formulas.
- No Guaranteed: There is no guaranteed success rate if you are using a manual method to break VBA password in Excel. We saw that in some cases, users may lose their important data.
#4 Method: Download Software to Remove Excel VBA Password
All-In-One VBA Password Remover Software is recommended to unlock VBA password Excel XLSM files. This tool permits to break VBA passwords in Excel 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, etc. Free download Excel VBA Password Breaker to check its working steps and capabilities. After getting complete satisfaction within 30 days, you can upgrade it to bypass VBA project password in Excel.
How to Unlock Password Protected VBA Code in Excel?
- Firstly, start the Excel VBA password remover on your Windows computer. Choose any option from Select Files or Select Folders. Thereafter, browse the Excel VBA project’s micros and modules files for adding them to software GUI.
- You can see all VBA projects in the Windows OS Tool. Which provides you with the File Explorer view so users can choose specific files easily. Click the Next button to continue.
- After that, Excel VBA password breaker automatically chooses the Desktop as the destination path. You can click the Browse button if you want to change a different destination folder. Thereafter, click the Remove button to remove VBA password in Excel.
Excel VBA Password Remover Top Notch Features
- VBA Excel password breaker is an effective solution for breaking passwords from multiple Excel VBA projects in bulk. In other words, there are no restrictions on the size of the Excel VBA projects database. This tool works with large-sized projects without reporting any error messages.
- The above-mentioned manual techniques are defined to break a VBA password in Excel. However, this suggested software allows to remove VBA passwords in Word/ PowerPoint/ Access/ AutoCAD/ ArcGIS/ CATIA/ CorelDraw and SolidWorks.
- Users can add an entire folder having an unlimited number of Excel VBA projects to break the password. Similarly, after adding Excel VBA files, users can see them in their software panel and choose only specific files to remove the password.
- Excel VBA password remover is a completely risk-free software that allows you to remove VBA passwords in Excel without losing any crucial information. It keeps all VBA project macros and modules intact during the completion of the task.
If you are one of those who forgot or lost their Excel VBA file password, then you can follow any of the above-mentioned techniques. If you go with manual methods, then we advise you to create a copy of Excel VBA projects to avoid data loss possibilities. On the other hand, the automated tool can be considered a 100% safe way to break VBA passwords in Excel 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, etc. Choose as per your requirements which one is better for your issues.
Learn Product and Service FAQs
Q 1: How do I unprotect a VBA code in Excel XLSM file?
A: Above we have explained 4 different techniques in detail to unlock VBA password in Excel. You can perform any way for unprotecting Excel VBA files as mentioned:
- Hex Editor
- Excel Workbook
- Moreover, Excel VBA password remover
Q 2: Can I use the Excel VBA password breaker tool to unlock 1000+ Excel VBA files at once?
A: Yes, this is a tried and tested solution to unlock 1000+ VBA password Excel XLSM files.
Q 3: Do you provide a service to break VBA password in Excel XLSM files?
A: Yes, we connect remotely to prove service to unlock password-protected VBA code in Excel.