Resolve Outlook Data File is Already in Use Error with Quick Methods
Microsoft Outlook has become a very important and useful email client for all the organization, but unknown errors like Outlook data file is already in use in the current profile ruins the productivity.
However, once you understand the solution it becomes easy to resolve it, so that is what you are going to explore today. But before you look for the solution, it is important to analyze the reason for the problems first. So let’s know why this error occurs in the first place…
What Causes Outlook Data File is Already in use Errors?
This Outlook problem can happen for a few reasons. Some of these reasons are:
- Other programs or antivirus software causing issues.
- Add-ons that don’t work well with Outlook.
- Outlook data file (PST) is broken or doesn’t work with Outlook.
- Issues or damage in your Outlook settings.
- Problems with how your computer handles files.
- Issues with where your Outlook data is stored.
- Files having the same name.
- Outlook PST file is too big.
So now you know why you might be seeing errors like this Outlook data file is already in use. Now is the time to get rid of this problem using effective solutions instantly.
Methods to Fix Outlook Data File is Already in Use
There are several different methods to fix if an Outlook PST file is in use and cannot be accessed, however it depends totally on your ease. We have explained some of the most effective technique that usually work below:
Technique 1: Verify Name Conflicts
Naming conflicts is the most common reason of an Outlook data file is already in use error, which means you are having multiple Outlook files with the same name. To resolve it, you need to make sure that the Outlook file is saved with a unique name. However, also check if you are trying to access the file that is already running in Outlook with the same name.
Technique 2: Check Out Read-only Property
Read-Only is the property in Outlook that is sometimes enabled by the user which might also cause an Outlook data file is already in use error. So before you open the Outlook file, change the properties by following the steps given below:
- Go to the PST file that you want to open and give a Right click on it.
- Once you right click on it, you will see a Dialog box, click on Properties option.
- Now you can see the window of Outlook Properties, look at the bottom and Deselect the Read-Only option which is in front of Attributes then click Ok.
- Restart your Outlook application and check if the error message this Outlook PST file is already in use in the current profile error is fixed.
Technique 3: Change Default PST File Path
The 3rd technique that you can implement to Outlook data file is already in use is, changing the path of your PST. For this, follow these steps:
- Open your Outlook and go to File tab then click on Account Settings.
- Now hit on Data Files tab and select the PST file from there.
- From the top, right hand corner, click on Open File Location option.
- See Outlook data file (.pst) is there. If it’s not, look for it by its name and add it again manually.
Technique 4: Use Outlook In-built Feature for 2013 & 2016 Versions
- Simply go to File tab from your Outlook interface to fix this Outlook PST file is already in use.
- Next click on Open, then click Open Outlook PST File.
- Go to the path where the PST file is stored, and click the “Open” button.
If none of the above solutions work, then you use the tool which is specially built to resolve this Outlook data file is already in use issue.
Advanced Method to Fix Outlook Data File is Already in Use
Every day, users face many issues with their email. These problems can’t be fixed easily with basic manual methods. Organizations who want a professional way to fix common errors in Outlook can use advanced tools. One of the best tools that is trusted by professionals is BitRecover PST Repair Wizard. This is the best way to fix all problems with Outlook and when your PST file is broken. It uses smart technology to check your PST file and repair the error message this Outlook PST file is already in use in the current profile.
In the above article, we talked about two ways to fix this Outlook data file is already in use error in Outlook. We also explained why this error can happen. The easiest way to solve Outlook data file is in use and cannot be accessed, is by using an alternative solution. You can try a free demo version before buying an activation key to see if it works for you.