How to Export MBOX File from Thunderbird Profiles – Know Dual Methods
Switching one email service to another one can be a challenging task. To ensure, it is not accompanied by data loss, take your important emails, contacts, calendars, tasks, notes with you. Mozilla Thunderbird which is a free and open-source desktop email client application lets you store emails in MBOX file format. If you wish to export MBOX file from Thunderbird then you can achieve this task by reading this article.
But going to the main point, first understand the original problem by reading few support queries.
User’s QueriesQuery 1 – Hi BitRecover, I am using Mozilla Thunderbird email client from fast few years and I want to save all emails from Thunderbird in standard file format. Please suggest me how do I export an MBOX file from Thunderbird. I am a student and I cannot afford paid solution. If it is possible then please share step-by-step technique for solving my problem. Thanks in advance!
– Silas, Jacksonville
Query 2 – Hi support team, I have previously purchase your Data Recovery Software that is very helpful for me. Because of your client satisfaction policy, I am again here to purchase another BitRecover Software. In my corporate office Mozilla Thunderbird is running as a default email client on 10 computers, for data management now I want to create MBOX from Thunderbird so please suggest me a well-suitable software to save all email from Thunderbird.
– Aarav, Stockton
After reading the above queries, we have decided to define dual methods to export MBOX file from Thunderbird for both home and corporate users.
How to Export MBOX File from Thunderbird – Pro Method
- First of all, download Thunderbird Export Tool and install the product set up on your Windows Machine.
- Run this software, by default it will automatically load whole Thunderbird profile data from the default storage location but if you want to load Thunderbird data from another location then you can choose 2nd option i.e. let me select my Thunderbird mailboxes data. Press the Next button to continue.
- Now you can view Thunderbird folders in the software interface, select folders, and press the Next button to continue.
- The tool will automatically choose desktop as destination path but users can also select different destination paths by clicking on the Browse icon. Click on the Next button to start the process to create an MBOX file from Thunderbird.
- Now the tool starts to export MBOX file from Thunderbird email client. After completion of the task, get resultant data from the destination path.
Benefits of Pro Method
- Manual technique allows to export mailbox from Thunderbird folders one by one but professional method allows to save whole Thunderbird profile data at once.
- If your Mozilla Thunderbird email client got corrupted then the manual technique will not work while the pro method permits to archive emails from corrupt Thunderbird profiles.
- Mentioned software is also compatible with Mozilla Thunderbird SBD, MSF, MOZMSGS, WDSEML, etc. files while this functionality is not available in the manual technique.
- Pro Software also allows to backup Thunderbird exported CSV contacts to vCard and PST (Personal Storage Tables) formats.
Create MBOX File from Thunderbird – Manual Method
- Run Mozilla Thunderbird email client, four lines icon which is available at the right side and choose Add-ons option from the dropdown menu.
- Now you will see Add-ons Window to get various types of Add-ons for Mozilla Thunderbird. From here choose Up & Coming option.
- In search bar, search ImportExportTools plugin and after that add it to Thunderbird. After installation of this Thunderbird Add-ons, restart your Thunderbird email client.
- Run Mozilla Thunderbird email client again, choose an email folder and right click on the folder. Choose ImportExportTools << Export Folder option as shown in the desired screenshot.
- Now select a folder to save emails from Thunderbird and press Select Folder button.
- At last open destination path and add .mbox extension after resultant file as you can see the respective screenshot.
Limitations of Manual Technique-
- By using the manual method to export MBOX file from Thunderbird, there can be a possibility of data loss issues.
- This method does not give the surety that you will find all attached files with MBOX documents.
- You may encounter some broken inline images and emails missing in the output.
- Many times, it is seen this method is prone to the corruption of data.
- There can also be some incorrect header details.
After reading this specific blog post these types of queries will be solved.
- How do I export an MBOX file from Thunderbird?
- How to export mailbox from Thunderbird email client?
- Can I export emails from Thunderbird profiles?
An Alternative Solution – Go with Thunderbird Converter, if you want to download all emails from Mozilla Thunderbird in 10+ standard file formats. It is Windows-compatible software that is available with a free demo edition for checking the software working procedure before investing money.