A Complete Guide to Recover a G Suite User’s Gmail and G Drive Data
Gmail, from the house of Google, is one of the services that have proved to be a milestone in its success. It is a hosted service, which allows the users to access emails and their attachments. Be it for personal use or for professional, the users worldwide deploy Gmail for their day-to-day communication purpose. However, the only factor, which proves to be worrisome, is the loopholes in cloud services that sometimes result in loss of Gmail data. The biggest challenge faced by Gmail users is the failure in the recovery of valuable data loss that can occur due to unintentional deletion or disruption in the service from Google’s end. In the recent past Google, outages have led to the permanent deletion of Gmail data, thus giving rise to the need for data recovery. At times, the user might intentionally delete some emails, which he may require at some other point of time. In addition to this, some users end up in deleting some emails accidentally.
In such instances, it becomes necessary to recover the emails and proceed with the other tasks. However, there are scenarios in which doing so is not as easy as it seems. This write up will help you to be acquainted with the different scenarios of data deletion from G Suite and the perfect solutions to backup G Suite User’s Gmail and G drive data.
Types of Data Deletion in G Suite
Data deletion in G Suite is categorized into two categories:
- Soft Deletion – When the user deletes data from Gmail by clicking on the delete option, the process is known as soft deletion. Once soft deleted, the emails data are stored in the Trash folder.
- Hard Deletion – When the emails are permanently deleted from Gmail, it is referred to as hard deletion. If the user deletes emails by pressing, Shift + Delete together or by deleting the emails from the Trash folder, the emails are permanently deleted from Gmail.
Recovery of Soft Deleted and Hard Deleted Data
Since the soft deletion and hard deletion vary, the methods by which the emails can be recovered are also diverse. Let us have a look at the methods:
For Soft Deletion
The soft deletion of emails can be recovered by simply going to the Trash folder and moving the deleted email back to its original folder, from which it was deleted. When the user deletes the data, it stays in the Trash folder for 30 days. During 30 days duration, users can easily retrieve their own messages by following the mentioned steps:
- Open Gmail on your system.
- Click on more option and click on Trash folder, which is there at left panel.
- Check the box, which is there next to messages that are needed to move.
- Select Move to option >> select the location where the messages are required to be moved such as Inbox.
For Hard Deletion
The Hard Deleted emails are permanently deletion of data and can be only recovered from the Administrative Console. However, users can recover the messages, which are permanently deleted from user’s Trash within 25 days of deletion. After 25 days, the data is deleted forever. There are steps that are required to be followed to recover the data as mentioned:
Restore One User’s Data
- Firstly, sign in to Admin Console of Google (by using administrator account).
- Go to users from the dashboard of the Admin Console.
- Find the users and select their name for viewing the account page.
- Click on more and restore data from the user’s account page.
- Choose the date range that is required to be retrieved within the last 25 days.
- Choose data type to be restored, i.e. Drive or Gmail >> Restore data.
Restore For Several User’s
- Login to Google Admin Console.
- Click on user’s option from the Admin Console dashboard.
- Choose the data that is needed to be restored.
Note: Administrator can select up to 10 users only at a time.
- Choose more option from toolbar >> restore data.
- Choose the date range to restore the data within the last 25 days.
- Choose Drive or Gmail to restore data.
- Select Restore data.
Note: Data cannot be restored from spam folder and Google Map Files cannot be restored.
Emails constitute to be the most important part of communication. When it comes to the organizational level, it becomes important to recover a G Suite User’s Gmail and G Drive data. In the above-discussion, we have discussed the way to retrieve the complete data.