How to Repair SQL Master Database Corruption Errors?
User Queries about Rebuild SQL Master Database
I am searching for a quick solution to repair SQL server master database file. I am the owner of an IT company where we (Me and My Team) are using SQL Server 2017 edition. But yesterday my SQL Server got crashed due to a malware attack. Now, I am unable to do any business transactions. Please help me to rebuild SQL master database.
I am using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 version for past few years. But recently MS SQL Server crashed due to an electricity failure. Recently we have faced a critical issue of electric short circuit due to overload. I have tried to fix the corrupt master database in SQL Server with the help of the system administrator. But he is unable to repair SQL master database. What to do now?
What Is SQL Master Database?
I am aware of a total of 4 types of SQL Server system databases that I have seen while using SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).
- Master Database
- Model Database
- MSDB Database
- Temp Database
But our topic is not allowing for discussing all SQL databases, hence here we will discuss only SQL Master Database. SQL Server records all transactions and information in the master database and it creates MDF (Master Database File) to store all transaction logs in tables. Even using the master database, users can do several useful operations.
Recommended: Recover Deleted Table Data in SQL Server Database Quickly
Master Database Corruption Reasons
There are various reasons available for SQL Server Master Database corruption. Here, we are mentioning some causes without any explanation.
- Virus and ransomware attacks
- Human and system errors
- Bugs in SQL server master database
- Power failure and short circuits
- Software and hardware failure
- The wrong shutdown of computer and server
- Changes in SQL accounts
- Upgrading SQL server version
Free Techniques to Repair SQL Server Master Database
There are several free and manual approaches available to repair SQL Server database. Here, we are discussing the top 2 ways to fix corrupt master database in SQL Server 2019, 2017, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2005, and 2000.
#1 Method: Fix Corrupt Master Database in SQL using Backup File
If your SQL master database got damaged and you have backup file available. Then you can retrieve SQL Server master database from it. But here this is mandatory that the backup should be associated with the same SQL server version. If you meet the requirements then follow these steps.
- Retrieve SQL database backup of the same edition
- Visit the Database section of Database dialog box and rename the master database file i.e., repair_masterdb. This is helpful for avoiding the conflict of the same database names. For example, here we renamed database file as repair_masterdb.mdf and repair_masterdb.ldf.
- Thereafter, detach the newly created database repair_masterdb file from SQL.
- Now copy the database file repair_masterdb.mdf and repair_masterdb.ldf under the file system.
- After that, delete corrupted MDF and LDF files of SQL.
- Rename repair_masterdb.mdf and repair_masterdb.ldf database files as master.mdf and mastlog.ldf.
- Lastly, restart SQL Server again and check whether it is working or not working.
#2 Method: Rebuild SQL Server Master Database
If you don’t have SQL master database backup then you cannot repair SQL server master database using the above-mentioned technique. However, there is another alternative is available to rebuild SQL master database using the suggested command and complete the process.
Setup.exe /ACTION=REBUILDDATABASE /...
Professional Method to Fix Corrupt Master Database in SQL
If you are unable to repair SQL Server master database file using manual techniques. Then, you should use BitRecover SQL Recovery Software. This is a great utility to fix corrupt master database in SQL Server 2019, 2017, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2005, and 2000.
This application is fully authenticated to resolve all SQL Server master database errors without using any command. Even the tool also comes with dual scanning modes and advance mode permits to repair corrupted MDF file which is known as master database file.
How to Repair SQL Master Database?
- Start the suggested software and upload the corrupted master database file using Open button.
- Choose a scan mode from Quick Scan or Advance Scan modes.
- Thereafter, preview your SQL server master database file data and press Export.
- Now set the destination path and use other crucial settings if required.
- Lastly, hit on the Export button to repair SQL server master database corruption.
We have explained both free and pro methods to repair SQL Server Master Database. Now system administrators can try to fix corrupt master database in SQL server using backup and rebuilding the database. But if in case manual techniques are failed then go with a smart solution.
Recommended: Best Techniques to Repair SQL Server Database