Repair Corrupted MDF Files in SQL Server – An Actionable Guide
How to Repair Corrupted MDF file in SQL Server? – Simply Explained
You can easily repair corrupted MDF files in SQL Server by one of the following ways:
- By using SQL Server Management Studio
- By a Third-Party Solutions
SQL Server is the go to choice of database administrators globally to manage the data of their organizations. And it is still growing due to it’s vast array of features and a significantly cheaper price, as compared to Oracle.
And make no mistake, we love SQL Server, too. But as great as SQL Server is, it still suffers from a few glitches from time to time, which makes everyday life of administrators more stressful. One such issue is the MDF file corruption in SQL Server.
But before we dive into methods through which you can knock out this error and repair MDF file, let’s have a quick look at what causes the corruption of SQL Server MDF files – so that you can take the necessary precautions to avoid the corruption in the first place.
Causes of MDF File Corruption in SQL Server
Corruption in SQL Server files takes place due to either of these reasons:
- Abrupt Shutdown- Sometimes, due to a sudden power loss, the MDF & NDF files in SQL Server might end up deleted or corrupted.
- Human Error: At other times, a DBA might run an SQL command that they shouldn’t have, and thus lead to corruption of MDF files.
- Virus Attack: SQL MDF & NDF files are also susceptible to virus attacks. If your SQL Server files have become infected, it could lead to corruption of MDF files.
- Hardware Problems: At other times, corruption might take place due to problems in the system hardware.
Methods to Repair Corrupted MDF File in SQL Server ->
There are only two methods to repair corrupted MDF files in SQL Server. First, you can use the manual recovery method, i.e. by using a SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and the second method is through using a professional repair wizard.
First, we’ll cover how to repair MDF files using SSMS:
Repair MDF Files by DBCC CHECKDB Command
Follow the steps below to repair corrupted MDF files in SQL Server by running the DBCC CHECKDB command as follows:
DBCC CHECKDB (Name_of _corrupt _database)
Next, check if the Index ID > 1. If it is, then drop and create it again. If, however, the Index ID is 0 or 1, then run DBCC CHECKDB like this:
DBCC CHECK (name_of_corrupt_database, repair_fast)
DBCC CHECK (name_of_corrupt_database, repair_rebuild)
DBCC CHECK (name_of_corrupt_database, repair_allow_data_loss)
In most cases, this method should work, and you’ll be able to repair MDF file without any hassles.
Now, the Drawbacks
There are, however, a few drawbacks that make manual repair a bit risky. They are:
- Manual method to repair MDF file in SQL Server does not provide a 100% data integrity assurance. Sometimes, the repaired data might be missing crucial information, which can be big headache for DBAs like you.
- If you’re short on time, the manual method is not recommended as sometimes, it can take up a lot of your time.
Repair Corrupted MDF Files in SQL Server by an Enterprise Solution
If the manual method to repair MDF files did not work, do not lose hope.
To tackle situations such as these – situations where manual MDF file repair fails – we’ve come up with a professional solution that you can use to repair your MDF files in SQL Server.
Just follow the simple steps, and you’ll be one steps closer to get your corrupted MDF files back:
- Download and Install the SQL MDF recovery software.
- Click on Open to add the MDF file in the software.
- Choose either of the scanning options: Quick & Advanced
- Also check the Auto-select .mdf version radio box.
- You’ll get a preview of the database objects in software screen.
- Select Export to SQL Server Database and fill the correct SQL Server credentials.
- Select either of these: Create New Database or Export to Existing Database.
- You can choose to Export with Schema or Schema & data.
- Finally, click on Export to start the process.
Through this way, your corrupt MDF files will be repaired in a short while.
SQL Server MDF file corruption is something that a lot of SQL database administrator face the world over.
Although the causes of this corruption can be many, the underlying corruption though has one common element – it is difficult repair corrupted MDF files in SQL Server without a losing data integrity of your files.
For that, the expert recommended suggestion is to use an enterprise SQL MDF repair application that will handle the repair for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques 1: How to repair MDF file in SQL server without any data loss?
Using this solution ensures 100% data integrity during the repair process. Just follow the steps listed below:
- Step 1: Download & install the SQL MDF Repair wizard
- Step 2: Check “Auto-Detect SQL Server” File (.mdf) Version
- Step 3: Preview the SQL Server objects like Table, Views, etc.
- Step 4: Click on “MS SQL Server version” & Collation Settings
- Step 5: Select “SQL Server Database”: New / Existing Database.
- Step 6: Export data “With Only Schema” or “Schema with data” to repair mdf file.
Ques 2: Can I batch repair corrupted MDF files at once?
Ans 2: No, you cannot repair multiple corrupt MDF files at once. You can, however, repair multiple NDF files in a single go.
Ques 3: Can I recover files that have been affected by Ransomware attack?
Ans 3: Yes, this utility has a special feature that carefully decrypts Ransomware affected files before repairing them.